Ruud Reflects on Stomach Ailment and 'Great Result' in Paris

 


Casper Ruud, the talented Norwegian tennis player, recently shared his reflections following a challenging semi-final match at Roland Garros. Despite his best efforts, Ruud was hindered by a stomach ailment, which affected his performance against Alexander Zverev. The match, which took place on the iconic Court Philippe-Chatrier, ended in disappointment for Ruud, but he remains positive about his overall performance in the tournament.

Ruud started the match well, but his discomfort began midway through the first set, significantly impacting his intensity and energy levels. "It was a little bit unfortunate. I started well. Towards the middle, end of the first set, I started feeling some discomfort, an ache in my stomach. So I wasn't able to keep the intensity and the energy level up. It was something that was bothering me, just kind of limiting me," Ruud explained. "It's not something I think is very serious or going to last for a long time, but something that came up in the first set."

The 25-year-old Norwegian did not go into the specifics of his ailment but expressed his frustration at the timing of the issue. "I don't have the answers now, but I just [am] disappointed that it had to be today. Why couldn't it be yesterday or day before when I had three days off?" Ruud wondered. "So it was a bit unlucky. I was really looking forward to the match. In a way I started well, but yeah, I wasn't able to keep it up, unfortunately."

Despite the setback, Ruud's performance at Roland Garros was commendable. This year marks his third consecutive semi-final appearance at the clay-court major, with two of those years seeing him reach the finals. His consistent performance has secured him a strong position in the PIF ATP Live Race To Turin, currently holding third place, though Carlos Alcaraz has the potential to move him to fourth if he wins the trophy on Sunday.

Reflecting on his season, Ruud expressed satisfaction with his progress and the adjustments he has made to his game. "I’m very pleased with how the season has been so far. In my game, I've tried to make a few adjustments and improvements, and I think that they've come along pretty well," Ruud said. "Still, there's a long way to go where I feel like I'm 100 per cent satisfied, and I think that's a good thing. I don't feel like I'm complete yet as a player, very far from it. So I still have a lot of things to work on."

Ruud considers his performance at Roland Garros as a significant achievement. "But the season has been great, I would say, to sum it up. This result here in Paris is, in my eyes, a great result, and it was unfortunate and a pity today that it ended this way. But I consider it, let's say, the first half of the year very good, and I'm looking forward to having some time off."

Looking ahead, Ruud plans to watch the final between Alcaraz and Zverev, which he anticipates will be an exciting match. "I think it's a very fun surface, and I have been joking a little bit about certain things before, but I think it's a very fun surface to play on because it brings something completely different," Ruud said. "It challenges me in a way that I think is good for my game in a way to be challenged. I’m really looking forward to Wimbledon. But yeah, next week I don't think I will watch much tennis."

As Ruud prepares for the grass-court season and Wimbledon, he remains optimistic about continuing to improve and face new challenges. His dedication to growth and resilience in the face of setbacks are qualities that undoubtedly contribute to his ongoing success in the world of tennis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italy to provide $38m to UNRWA for Palestinians

Israel continues its bombing campaign in Gaza, targeting areas including Rafah, despite a ruling from the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to stop the attacks

Delhi Temperature May Reach Record High in India